Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Catch up, again

This past weekend was General Conference. I love General Conference, and I hate that I never get to listen to all the sessions as they happen. Life gets in the way.


This time however, I really felt that God was telling me it was okay, that He understood.


After the Saturday Morning session I had to get my kids from my mother-in-laws, only to find out as I walked out the door that she needed me to do a bunch of things for her when I got there. So I changed into work clothes and went. I hemmed some curtains, mitered some wood for a window cornice, it wasn't much, it was just time consuming. I got to spend time with her husband though, and I don't get to do that often. He cracks me up because he says a lot without saying anything, and when I say exactly what he was thinking his eyes twinkle while we laugh.


Then I had to work right after the Sunday morning session. The parents of the only two kids that came picked up the kids early, so I cleaned and went to clock out. I was ready to leave when a co-worker from another area came to gossip with the front desk girl.


"You'll never guess what we found in the ball box outside the youth gym," he says as I hurry for the door, "A Mormon Bible." I stopped dead in my tracks. I inquired what he did with it, and discovered the person he had given it to had placed it on a shelf by the front desk. As I went to check the inside cover for a name he said he didn't know any Mormons.


I laughed and then ticked off four he knew, and still didn't list all the LDS people that have a connection to my work. (I don't know how he didn't know I was LDS. The missionaries are constantly telling me they tracted into yet another person who said, "Yeah I know a Mormon, Thora is one.")


This opened up a great opportunity for me though, because I was able to have pleasant, long conversations with both him and the front desk girl about the church. I don't know if anything will come of it, but it was a rare treat to be able to answer questions in an area where there is a lot of anti stuff built into the curriculums of other churches.


It's hard, emotionally, for me to work on Sunday, especially when I have to miss Conference to do it, but it was like God was sending me a message that he understands and will bless my efforts because he knows my heart is in the right place.


Lord, thank you for blessing me so abundantly when my should's aren't happening and letting me know that my best is good enough. Thank you for giving me that time with someone who may not be around much longer. Thank you that somehow, someway, you've made me into a person who isn't a complete embarrassment to the church. Thank you for the calm nerves and the open hearts. Thank you for believing in me.


Oh and also, thank you for the new stainless steel, lighted hanging pot rack that Joe hung for today me for my upcoming birthday. I don't know how many angels you had to send to get him to remember I have wanted one for years, but I love it, and I love all the work he put into putting it up for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment