Friday, March 11, 2011

Good examples, the scents of home

I have a friend who has decided she's just not going to complain anymore. She's my hero.

Lord, thank you for friends who are such good examples.

When I hold or hug a kid at work I like to sniff their hair. It's not because they have perfumed shampoo. It's because they smell like their mother's cooking, or like the cream that helps contain all those downy curls. There's something about those scents that mean love to me, that mean home and care and nurture. Scents are just that way, they mean something. Like, even though my mom doesn't drink Pepsi anymore, the smell of it always makes me think of her. Sometimes I smell a man's shaving cream and I'll think of my dad. Pine trees always make me think of the first house my parents owned. All such beautiful memories brought on by the scent of home.

Lord, thank you for the scents of home.

No comments:

Post a Comment