Friday, December 24, 2010

Catching up

Man life is insane right now. I've been so exhausted emotionally and physically, and I wish it was just me. A lot of people are coming apart at the seams from the way the world is spinning so fast.
So while I have taken moments to stop and be thankful, I haven't been able to log on and write them down, but that's the good thing about being my own task master, I'm very understanding.

Wednesday I was thankful for handmade gifts, as I received one. (Then I got another one on Thursday!) I guess it's because I make things that I appreciate handmade gifts. When I make something specifically for someone I think about that person while I make it. I wonder if they will like it, or sometimes I work for hours in gleeful expectancy of the look on their face when they open it.
Handmade is also an investment of time, the time of the giver, which is valuable and rare.
Yes that's what it is. A handmade gift is a literal gift of time spent thinking of me, loving me enough to want to express that time with something no one else can give.

Yesterday was the work Christmas party, complete with Santa, two elves, and a the head reindeer handler. We had a lot of kids, I'm not sure how many, it was too hectic to count. 25-30 range I think. It went pretty well, as parties go. It just came on a hard day, for several of us. My edges were a bit frayed but I had the opportunity to make a small difference in two people's days. I'm thankful that The Lord gave me the opportunity to reach outside myself at a time when I could have been wallowing in my own stress and stupid grievances.

Today, well shallow as this is, today I am thankful for what 12 hours of sleep can do when you've been running on about 6 a night all month.

Lord, thank you for the thoughtfulness of others, the needs of others that I can respond to, and for time to sleep off the holiday season and prepare for the Holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment