Friday, December 3, 2010

Weaknesses

I tried to make cookies tonight. Some of them turned out okay I guess. I just simply can't bake, and I've known that for years. However, since I asked everyone else to bring two or more dozen cookies to the Relief Society Meeting tomorrow I thought I should do it too.
Needless to say I've been in a really bad mood for the last hour because of this attempt.
However, I am thankful that I completely suck at baking because:
  • If I could bake, I would eat more baked goods, and I don't need any more baked goods on my hips.
  • I can't do it all, and I shouldn't be able to do it all, and nobody (including me) should expect that I can do it all. I've got to have a few flaws, and things involving flour and the oven is one of mine.
  • Stinking at something so many others are really good at keeps me from getting too big of a head. Humility is a good thing.
  • It's good for me socially, to tell the truth. People tend to be intimidated by me, (which I really don't get because I'm certainly not the best at any of the things I do...) and it's caused me a lot of heatache in the past. Readily admitting that I can't bake or get jello to set seems to help morph me from the big scarey alien into a person.

Thank you, Lord, for my weaknesses, because I need them.

1 comment:

  1. Kudos, kiddo! You have done well to see the positives in something that you obviously inherited from your mother. Neither one of us got my mother's baking knack. I hope others will now understand why I simply gave up trying to make cookies and jello.

    Hmm, I hear music: "Quarter to seven on a Thursday night, she's running late, again...then she remembered a promise made a couple of weeks ago: she'd bake the brownies for the PTA, but she's run out of time so she gets hers from the store...she doesn't know that she's an angel in disguise; she doesn't know that we see heaven in her eyes. She doesn't know that she's alright, she might have been blinded by the light of all the good that she does, 'cause she doesn't know."

    Yup, MM got it right...again...and so did you, my wonderful daughter.

    ReplyDelete