Tuesday, January 18, 2011

A quick mind

Okay, another one of those post that will make me look big headed, but I have to express this so I can finish wrapping my head around it and get some sleep.

So, I'm sitting there next to someone I don't even know, discussing a variety of topics from Art to Zoroastrianism (literally, we discussed both) and I get a text message to my phone. It was from one of the college students I know via work who has taken a shine to the kids and I. She needs help, bad, because she has to write a 5 paragraph essay on what she thinks Racism is.

Now, I remember when 5 paragraph essays scared me, because no one had explained to me how to structure them. After that, well I churned them out daily in 45 minutes. Man, I'd love to write an essay on Racism, but I'd need a lot more than 5 paragraphs. It's a subject I have thought about a lot over the years.

So I texted her back (and called her when I got home to get her ball rolling) but that moment started me thinking.

I am smart, and I'm smart about a lot of stuff.

There's stuff I am not good at, like math. The way people take a completely abstract set of rules and treat it like it's the most concrete thing in the world is mind boggling to me. People say "2+2=4, always, it's unchanging," and I look at them like they have two heads. What on earth is 2? Seriously.

But I am good at understanding other things, and tonight I am so very thankful for that. I am so thankful that I have this hunger to learn, weather it is from my spirit, my genetics, or my upbringing, I have this precious gift of a sharp and understanding mind. I'm thankful for the opportunities that I have had of improving my mind, the people that have aided me, and most of all I am so thankful for the things that I never have to question again because my spirit now knows them.

Lord, thank you for making me like you did, and teaching me like you have. I feel so unusually blessed, and I'm sure I don't deserve it, but I am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment