Sunday, January 16, 2011

What I needed, not what I wanted

I had prayed that my voice be returned to me by today. Sunday is hands down my favorite day of the week, and a big part of that is getting to sing hymns. I thought surely the Lord could give me that little concession as it was part of my worship.

Oh how wrong I was, and how right He was. I couldn't sing. Not only did it hurt, my voice wouldn't stay even in the right octave. So I sat and listened and read along with the hymns.

I'm so thankful that He gave me the chance to do that. The spirit was so strong, the words were so poignant, and James' sweet voice ringing in my ear was so sweet.

He is often in a mood all of sacrament, and I had forgotten how lovely his voice is. I told him how beautiful it was, and he said, "I know, I got it from you Mom." It was so touching to hear the words I have so often spoken uttered by another generation.

I also picked up the quiet but skilled Alto coming from the new face down the bench. She has just started coming to our ward because she is now 30 and no longer in the singles ward. I am terribly excited to have her in our ward. It was like God was saying, no you can't have your show-off-soprano today, but you can have a new sister instead. I think she and I will be great friends.

O Lord, thank you so much for giving me what I needed instead of granting my selfish desire. I love you.

1 comment:

  1. A sweet twist on the "to the third and fourth generation" scripture thingie...right?

    I, too, am amazed at the hymn lyrics at times. A lot of gospel to be learned from them.

    Thanks for sharing, sis. I love Him and you, too!

    ReplyDelete